Work Visa

Work Visa Opportunities

When looking into acquiring a work visa to work in Canada, most job positions for foreigners require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) as well as a Work Permit. Some on the other hand will only require a Work Permit.

What Jobs Require an LMIA and a Work Permit?

In general, if a Canadian employer is looking to hire someone from a foreign country they must receive government approval through an LMIA before they can make the hire. This is done to ensure no Canadians in Canada are passed up in favour of a foreign individual. This is also done to ensure the foreign worker receives a salary and proper benefits to meet federal and provincial standards. Employers must prove they are unable to find qualified Canadians or permanent residents before they can look to hire a foreign worker. In some cases the employer may be inspected after their employee has begun work in Canada.

Jobs That Are Exempt From LMIA

In some cases as mentioned before, a LMIA isn’t required to apply for a Work Permit. The following do not require a LMIA:

Request a Free Assessment

Request a completely free assessment form and our team of immigration experts will get back to you as soon as possible.


Reach out to our team by phone or email

While being exempt from an LMIA, workers still must obtain a Work Permit in order to work in Canada legally.

Jobs That Are Exempt From a Work Permit

In certain cases, occupations do not require a work permit and a foreigner can work without one.

The list of jobs within this situation are:

Global Talent Stream

If employers are experiencing a sudden large amount of growth or are in need of IT professionals, they can apply for Work Permits under the Global Talent Stream. This allows employers to benefit from two week processing times, much faster than usual. This program was designed to allow employers to being in foreign workers in a quick amount of time.

Open Work Permit (OWP)

The Open Work Permit was made to allow foreign nationals the ability to work in any job without the usual restrictions. With this type of permit, an LMIA or a confirmed offer of employment is not needed.

Individuals that are eligible for the OWP are as follows:

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

The BOWP was made to allow a worker to stay in Canada while their application for permanent residency is being processed. The applicant must have made an application to immigrate to Canada under one of the following: Provincial Nominee Programs, Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class, or the Federal Skilled Worker Class.

International Experience Class (IEC)

The IEC program was made for young adults and youth. This allows them to enter Canada to work for temporary periods of time. To be eligible, the foreign country must have a bilateral youth mobility program with Canada for those between 18 and 35. The IEC program is made up of the following categories: International Co-op, Young Professionals, and Working Holiday.

To inquire on using a Work Visa, give us a call or fill out our form below here at CanadaPass Immigration

Ready to Get Started with CanadaPass?

Request a completely free assessment from our team of professionals.